2nd Lt. Joseph F. Ives World War I Joseph F. Ives was killed in a plane crash on 4 Apr 1918 (during WWI) He died during a flight at Ellington Field. in Houston TX. Joseph Ives was born and raised in Chicago, graduated from Phillips HS and lived at 6008 S Prairie. From 1912-1918, he was a motocycle policeman for the Chicago Police.

Martin Larsen, Jr. World War II Martin Larsen joined the Chicago Police Department on January 5, 1931. Martin was assigned to the Stolen Auto Detail. Martin joined the Navy. On August 13, 1944, Martin died at sea and was buried with full military honors in Cambridgeshire, England.

Corporal Patrick J. Bermingham was born in 1909. He completed two years of high school before becoming a Chicago Police Officer. He worked out of the 007the District Woodlawn Police Station. His late father, also Patrick, was a retired Chicago Policeman. He enlisted in the U.S. Army on April 2, 1942 and attained the rank of Corporal. He was killed on March 28, 1945 when the truck he was driving was sideswiped by another truck while he was driving to Camp Ellis. He was survived by his two brothers, Edward and John T. Birmingham, a Chicago Policeman at the District Deering Street station.

Private 1st Class Thomas J. Morrisroe was born in Ireland in 1911 and was not yet a citizen of the United States. He was a Chicago Policeman who worked out of the 26th District Des Plaines Street police station before enlisting in the U.S. Army on May 20, 1942. He lost his life in Algiers on June 22, 1944. He was unmarried at the time of his death and his rank was Private, 1st Class. His nearest relation was known to be his Aunt, Mrs. Mary Hayes.

Corporal James L. Mooney was born on September 16, 1907 in Chicago, Illinois. He attended Georgetown University where he captained the football team and was named an All-American lineman and punter. He graduated with a B.A. in psychology. He joined the NFL where he played from 1930 until 1935, ending his career with the Cardinals and Bears. Jim was a member of one of the CPD’s most distinguished families. His grandfather was Francis J. O’Neill, a career policeman who rose through the ranks to become Superintendent from 1901 until 1905. His father, Captain James L. Mooney, Sr., also a career CPD officer, retired as Chief of Detectives. Following family tradition, Jim joined the CPD in 1937. He served as a patrolman at the 36th District Hudson Avenue Station. On November 20, 1943, he enlisted in the US Army. While serving as a Corporal in the 110th Infantry Regiment, 28th Infantry Division, Jim was killed in action near Sourdeval, France on August 12, 1944. Jim was awarded the Purple Heart Medal.

Sgt. James W. Griffin was born in 1915 to Municipal Judge John J. Griffin and Alice McCabe. He grew up on the northwest side of Chicago with his four brothers and a sister. He attended Campion Catholic Prep. High School in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin and upon graduation he completed one year of college before becoming a Chicago Police Officer. He worked his way up to becoming a Detective at the 40th District Summerdale Police Station on the north side. Jim enlisted in the U.S. Army on April 7, 1941 and sent to Fort Knox where he was assigned to Company B, 192nd Battalion and trained to operate all equipment used by the battalion. In October of 1941, the 192nd Tank Battalion was sent to the Philippine Islands and Jim arrived there just a little over two weeks before the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. On December 21st, Jim took part in the first action by American tanks in WWII. Jim’s tank took several hits, and his machine gunner was killed. The tanks were lost to enemy fire and the American and Filipino forces were eventually surrendered to the Japanese. Jim took part in the infamous Bataan Death March and survived. He was held as a prisoner in Camp O’Donnell and Cabanatuan Prison Camp where he worked on a farm and did construction work. It is believed that because of illness he was sent to Bilibid Prison outside of Manila where he was eventually shot and killed by a Japanese guard and died on May 20, 1944. Jim’s rank at the time of his death was Sergeant and he was awarded the Purple Heart Medal. He was survived by his parents and four siblings: John A. Griffin, Robert E. Griffin, Lt. Edward E. Griffin and Mrs. Alice Johnson. Click here for more details

Lt. John A. McCarthy was the son of Chicago Fire Captain Patrick J. McCarthy and worked as a fireman himself for three and a half years at Engine Company No. 1 at Lomax and Wells. He then joined the Chicago Police Department in January 1939 and was known to have worked out of the Wabash Avenue Station. He enlisted in the U.S. Army on March 5, 1940 and gained the rank of Lieutenant. He was killed in action in France on September 13, 1944. He was 30 years old. Lt. McCarthy was survived by his parents, his widow, Josephine, a son, John Jr. (11 mos.), two brothers, CPD Patrolman William McCarthy of the traffic detail, and Petty Officer 2d Class Raymond McCarthy of the Coast Guard, and by two sisters, Frances McCarthy and Mrs. Hugh Kelly.  

We Will Never Forget