Name: Knox, Terrence J.
Star: 2759
Memorial Panel #:  22
Rank: Patrolman
District / Unit: 005 District
End of Watch: 8 May 2011
Incident Details: On March 7, 1969, Officer Terrence Knox was driving his squad car when he spotted a youth near Hirsch High school he suspected was a school-truant. Officer Knox exited his vehicle near 76th Street and Drexel Avenue and inquired as to why Joseph Pannell was not inside of the school. Pannell then opened fire on Officer Knox 13 times. Officer Knox survived the incident but was left with limited use in his arm and lifelong illnesses caused by the blood transfusions required to save his life. Joseph Pannell was arrested and jumped bond in 1971. In 1973, Officer Knox found and arrested him again. The presiding judge set Pannell’s bond at 100,000 which he was posted and then fled to Canada. In 2004, a cold case squad found Joseph Pannell living under the alias of Douglas Freeman in Toronto. Pannell was extradited to the United States. Officer Knox helped broker a plea deal which required Pannell, the now librarian, to serve 30 days in prison and donate $250,000 of his legal defense fund to the Chicago Police Memorial Foundation. Pannell who did not apologize to Officer Knox for attempting to murder him in 1969, addressed the court and said, “…It was an American tragedy. By this plea, I accept responsibility for the part I played in that tragedy.” Joseph Pannell a.k.a Douglas Freeman has been expelled from Canada. He has been petitioning the Canadian Government to make an exception and ignore his criminal background and grant him re-entrance to Canada. Officer Terrence Knox died on May 8, 2011, after a prolonged illness caused by blood transfusions. Officer Knox’s funeral mass was held at Our Lady of the Woods Church and he was laid to rest in Good Shepherd Cemetery. He is survived by his wife, Diane; children, Christine (Martin) Gramlick and Charlene (Nathan) Livingston; granddaughter, Evelyn; and his siblings, Nancy Kermer, Thomas Knox, and Dennis Knox.


  • No person could have asked for a better brother-twin and a police professional for the Chicago Police Department – Security Director for Mercy Hospital – Security Instructor – Tel-Communication Professional – Father and Husband. Terry was committed to providing opportunities to the African-American People who wanted to improve their lives and never once questioned his positive contributions to the community.

  • Time flies… Terry and I go back to Cadet days (’67}, recruit training (68), and weddings and the fun things as young folks we enjoyed. It has been 47 years since Terry was shot doing what was then called “aggressive preventive patrol”. Probably taboo in todays environment. The injuries sustained then eventually took his life some 42 years later. As his bio reads, he doggedly pursued his attacker, not with malice, but with true justice in his heart. While Terry’s name is properly etched on the memorial wall, his star #2749 needs to be retired and placed among the honored. Terry’s dedication to the job, family, humanity, and those coppers who followed is of the highest caliber.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We Will Never Forget