Commander Paul R. Bauer


Name:  Paul R. Bauer
Rank:  Commander
Star No.:  29
Unit:  018th District
EOW:  13 Feb 2018

Incident Details:

Commander Paul Bauer was shot and killed while attempting to arrest a subject who had just run from other officers near the James R. Thompson Center, a state government office building.

Other officers had attempted to conduct a subject stop on the man in connection with a shooting that had occurred several days earlier. The subject fled from the officers. Commander Bauer, who was in the area for a meeting, observed the subject at the government building and attempted to stop him in a stairwell. The subject opened fire, killing Commander Bauer.

The subject was taken into custody moments later.

Commander Bauer had served with the Chicago Police Department for 32 years and served as commander of the 018th District. He is survived by his wife, Erin, and daughter, Grace.

P.O. Andre Van Vegten


Name:  Andre Van Vegten
Rank:  Police Officer
Star No.:  14931
Unit:  008th District
EOW:  2 Nov 2017
Incident Details:

On the evening of January 7, 1997 while assigned to the 008th District, Officer Van Vegten and his partner responded to a “shots fired” call at 43rd and Latrobe Avenue near the LeClaire Courts public housing development. En route to the scene, the officers spotted a vehicle containing four known gang members who immediately fled northbound on Cicero Avenue at a high rate of speed. Before Officer Van Vegten and his partner could even radio in the pursuit, another vehicle veered into their lane of traffic and they were forced to take evasive action. The officers’ police vehicle struck the center-lane curb and crashed into a concrete planter. They were pulled from the wreckage of their burning squad car by passing motorists just seconds before the entire vehicle was engulfed in flames.

Officer Van Vegten was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition. He suffered a collapsed lung, a shattered right femur and a broken rib which had pierced his aorta. The rapid blood loss from that injury left him paralyzed from the chest down and legally blind. After emerging from a six week coma, the officer underwent several surgeries at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and was transferred to the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago for therapy. In the following years, Officer Van Vegten suffered through numerous surgeries and continuously battled infections and wounds that required months or years to heal.

Officer Andre Van Vegten is survived by his daughter, Jennifer, who was only three-years old at the time of the accident.

P.O. Joseph Palczynski


Name:  Joseph Palczynski

Rank:  Captain

Star No.:  Unknown

Unit:  Detective Bureau

EOW:  5 MARCH 1935

Incident Details:

Captain Joseph Palczynski was a nearly 50 year veteran of the Chicago Police Department and assigned to the Detective Bureau at 1121 South State Street at the time of his death.  On March 5, 1935, Captain Palczynski was working in the Women’s Court room at 11th and State when a riot broke out in the courtroom.  During the melee, Captain Palczynski  suffered a fatal heart attack while pushing into the crowd in an attempt  to restore the peace.  He was shoved to the floor and pummeled by several offenders.  He was carried into the judge’s chambers and later pronounced dead on the scene.   No charges were filed in connection with Captain Palczynski’s death.  He was survived by his wife, Tillie, and children, Helen, Joseph Jr., William, Edward, Casimir and Walter.

P.O. Bernard Domagala


Name: Domagala,Bernard W.
Star: 8996
Memorial Panel #:
Rank: Police Officer
District / Unit:  HBT (Hostage, Barricade, Terrorist Unit)
End of Watch: 5 September 2017
Incident Details:

Police Officer Bernie Domagala was a 7 year veteran of the Chicago Police Department and a member of the HBT Unit.  Shortly before his shift was over on the afternoon of July 14th 1988, Bernie responded to a hostage situation at 7237 S. Stony Island Avenue. Officers surrounded the property, and Bernie had taken a defensive position at the corner of the garage. He looked around the corner at the house, and in that split second the offender shot his gun hitting Bernie above his eye in the forehead. He was transported to Michael Reese Hospital where he underwent 6 hours of surgery to remove a bullet from his brain. Bernie was 37 years old at the time, with a wife, Denise,  and three young sons: Erik was 4, and twins Craig and Adam were 4 months old.   

Offender Tommie Lee Hudson was charged with several crimes, including attempted murder, aggravated battery and armed violence. A psychiatrist later found Hudson to be mentally ill and he was committed to a state mental health facility. He died in the 1990s.

Bernie never recovered from his injuries and spent the next twenty-nine years in traumatic brain injury care centers, rehab facilities, nursing homes and hospitals.  Through it all, and thanks to the constant love and support from Denise, Erik, Craig and Adam, Bernie never lost his smile.   Bernie passed away on September 5, 2017 due to complications from injuries sustained in the shooting.  Officer Bernard Domagala was laid to rest in St. Casimir Cemetery in Chicago, IL.  He is survived by his wife, Denise, and sons Erik, Craig and Adam.

P.O. James E. Doyle

Name: Doyle, James E.
Star: 9093
Memorial Panel #:  8
Rank: Patrolman
District / Unit:  006th District
End of Watch: 5 February 1982
Incident Details: Probationary Patrolman James E. Doyle was an 8-month veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Bureau of Administrative Services - Training Division Unit 044, detailed to the 006th District - Gresham.

On February, 5, 1982, at approximately 10:00 PM, Officer Doyle and his partner, Patrolman Robert M. Mantia, were in their marked police car when a citizen approached them. He informed the officers that he had been a passenger on the route 79 CTA bus and recognized a man on board who had previously robbed him. The Officers boarded the bus at 28 West 79th Street near Lafayette Avenue and spotted the offender, Edgar Hope, who was carrying two concealed firearms. One of theses weapons was previously used during the murder and attempted murder of two Cook County Correctional Officers. As the officers approached, Hope fatally shot Officer Doyle in the head and injured two passengers. The gunman then turned and fired at the second officer, but missed. The second officer returned fire, striking Hope and preventing his escape. Officer Doyle was transported to St. Bernard hospital.

Edgar Hope stood trial, was found guilty and sentenced to death. On January 10, 2003, the Governor at the time, George Ryan, commuted his sentence, along with those of all 167 other inmates on death row, to life in prison. Hope died from liver cancer at the Menard Correctional Center on March 24, 2012.

Officer Doyle's funeral mass was held at St. Denis Church and he was laid to rest in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, 6001 W. 111th Street, Alsip, IL.

Probationary Patrolman, James E. Doyle, born December 12, 1947, received his probationary appointment to the Chicago Police Department on June 8, 1981 and was in recruit class 81-4C at the Jackson Street Police Academy.

Officer Doyle served in the U.S. Marine Corps and was a veteran of the Vietnam War, serving two tours. He was also a member of the Fraternal Order of Police. He is survived by his fiancee, nephew, Patrick, sister, Mary Jo and mother, Rose, who passed away soon after her son's death by what many describe as a "broken heart."

The death of Officer Doyle was the catalyst for changes in recruit training by the police department. Tragically, his passing would lead indirectly to the deaths of two other officers, Patrolman William P. Fahey and Richard J. O'Brien. The officers were shot and killed as they returned from Officer Doyle's funeral.


P.O. Edward L. Jackson


Name:  Jackson, Edward L.
Star:  2790
Memorial Panel #: 25
Rank: Patrolman
District / Unit: Vice Control Division
Date of Injury: 14 October 1977
End of Watch: 10 March 2003
Incident Details: On October 14, 1977, Chicago Police Officers Alfred Williams, Rudolph Winston, Karl Manuel and Eddie Jackson of the Vice Control Division were assigned to a prostitution mission in the 800 block of north Clark Street. At approximately 1:00 AM, the officers arrested two females and placed in an unmarked patrol car being driven by Officer Jackson. As the patrol car turned onto LaSalle Street, the group encountered Lee Jones, who had just robbed a dice game located at a nearby pool hall. Jones was driving a 1977 gray Lincoln Continental which sped past the officers' car, nearly striking it. Jones abruptly stopped his vehicle and allowed Officer Jackson to pull alongside. Following a brief verbal exchange, the offender raised a handgun and fired, striking Officer Jackson in the head. Jones then fled in the Lincoln and Officer Jackson was transported to Henrotin Hospital.

A flash message was sent out on the offender's vehicle which was spotted at 1000 W. Bryn Mawr and curbed by 023rd District officers. A search of the vehicle revealed the gun used to shoot Officer Jackson.

Lee Jones was found guilty of attempt murder and aggravated battery. He was sentenced to 100 years in the Illinois Penitentiary where he remains today.

As a result of the shooting, Officer Jackson was left paralyzed and blind in one eye. He eventually died from his injuries 25 years later on March 10, 2003.

He is survived by his wife and daughter.



Lt. Charles Stine

Name: Stine, Charles
Star: Unknown
Memorial Panel #:
Rank: Lieutenant
District / Unit: Woodlawn Station
End of Watch: 21 April 1952
Incident Details: Lieutenant Charles W. Stine, 72, was a 23 year veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Woodlawn Station.

On September 28, 1936 Lieutenant Stine was in Rehling’s Tavern at 203 E. 69th Street when parolees Norman Cravens, Clarence Lukesch and Fred Meyers attempted to rob the establishment. The offenders got into a shootout with Detectvie Nicholas Connelly and Lieutenant Stine who were each shot multiple times.

The officers shot and killed Cravens during the shootout in which 25 bullets were fired. Lukesch and Meyers were arrested and the investigation revealed that they and Cravens had robbed 50 small businesses since they were all paroled. On November 11, 1936 Chief Justice Michael McKinley of the Criminal Court sentenced Lukesch and Meyers to life in prison.

Lieutenant Stine never fully recovered from the shooting and suffered extreme pain and chronic nephritis. These medical complications all led to Stine’s early death on April 21, 1952.

Detective Loubet Zaccard

Name: Zaccard, Loubet
Star: Unknown
Memorial Panel #:
Rank: Detective
District / Unit: Rogers Park Station
End of Watch: 23 July 1946
Incident Details: Detective Loubet Zaccard, 47, was a 25-year veteran of the Chicago PoliceDepartment, assigned to the Rogers Park Station.

On July 23, 1946, Detective Loubet Zaccard and his partner were on their way to a callbox to report back to their station when they saw Patrolman Donald J. McGinley struggling with a subject identified as 35 year old Charles Rayford. Rayford gained control over PO McGinley’s club and the patrolman withdrew his revolver. McGinley ordered Rayford to drop the club as Zaccard came behind Rayford and grabbed his arms. McGinley lunged forward and stuck Rayford in the head with the butt of his revolver. The handgun discharged and the bullet fatally struck Detective Zaccard in the face.

Patrolman Donald J. McGinley was absolved from all blame in the shooting. Detective Zaccard was pronounced dead at St. Francis hospital in Evanston. He is survived by his wife Irene; two sons, Howard and Ronald, and a brother, Frank.

P.O. John T. Lynch

Name: Lynch, John T
Star: 8005
Memorial Panel #:
Rank: Police Officer
District / Unit: Brighton Park Youth Division
End of Watch: 19 December 1969
Incident Details: Youth Officer John T. Lynch, 54, was a 23-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Brighton Park area youth division.

On December 19, 1969, Officer Lynch and partner, Frank Dabrowski, stopped their patrol car near 55th and Halsted when a man flagged them down for assistance. The man pointed out three teenagers who had been harassing him. The teens fled as the officers approached and Lynch and Dabrowski gave chase. Officer Lynch collapsed during the foot pursuit and fell to the sidewalk. He was rushed to the Evangelical Hospital where he was pronounced dead from a fatal heart attack.

His funeral mass was at St. Ethelreda Church and he was laid to rest at Interment St. Mary’s cemetery.

He is survived by his two daughter; Peggy and Donna.

P.O. William Buck



Name: Buck, William
Star: 5498
Memorial Panel #: 13
Rank: Patrol Officer
District / Unit: Shakespeare Street Station
End of Watch: 28 November 1941
Incident Details: P.O. William Buck, 42, was a 17-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Shakespeare Street Station.On November 28, 1941, P.O. William Buck was on a routine patrol of the Shakespeare District with his partner, P.O. Ben Smith. As the officers approached the intersection of California Avenue and Cortland Street, their patrol car was struck by another vehicle being driven by Frank Corso. According to court records, Corso had been fined three times in the past year on speeding charges.P.O. Smith suffered minor injuries and P.O. Buck was rushed to St. Elizabeth’s Hospital. He expired shortly thereafter from injuries sustained during the accident.


Lt. Patrick J. McGann, Jr.



Name: McGann, Patrick
Star: 385
Memorial Panel #:  12
Rank: Lieutenant
District / Unit: General Assignments Unit Area #3, CID
End of Watch: 13 July 1977
Incident Details: Lt. Patrick J. McGann, Jr. was assigned to the Area 3 Detective Division.

On July 13, 1977, Lt. Patrick McGann and other officers responded to a “burglary in progress” call at 3343 W. Columbus Drive. A suspect observed in the rear of that location and placed under arrest and three additional offenders were spotted on the roof of the building. Two climbed down, but the third, a female, had to be assisted from the roof and lowered into the outstretched arms of Lt. McGann, who placed her on the ground.No signs of forced entry were found and the interrogations revealed that the group was merely on the roof drinking beer. The four suspects were arrested and charged with minor drinking.

After leaving the scene of the incident, Lt. McGann suffered a heart attack and crashed his patrol car into a utility pole at 59th and California. He was transported to Holy Cross Hospital where he expired.

Lt. McGann is survived by his wife, Mary; five sons, Patrick, William, Timothy, Edward and John; daughter, Virginia; three grandchildren; a brother and two sisters.


Detective Nicholas Connelly

Name: Nicholas Connelly
Star: unknown
Memorial Panel #:  9
Rank: Detective
District / Unit: Woodlawn Police Station
End of Watch: 09 October 1962
Incident Details: Detective Nicholas Connelly, 55, was assigned to the Woodlawn Police Station. On September 28, 1936, Detective Connelly was involved in a shootout with parolees Norman Cravens, Clarence Lukesch and Fred Meyers who attempted to rob Rehling’s Tavern at 203 E. 69thStreet. Detective Connelly and Detective Charles Stine were each shot multiple times and Cravens died during the shootout in which 25 bullets were fired.Lukesch and Meyers were arrested and the investigation revealed that the group had robbed 50 small businesses since being paroled. On November 11, 1936, Chief Justice Michael McKinley of the Criminal Court sentenced Lukesch and Meyers to life in prison.Detective Connelly never fully recovered from the shooting and suffered extreme pain, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer and chronic lead poisoning from the two bullets that were left in his body. According to Dr. Nancy Jones, retired Chief Medical Examiner, these complications all led to Detective Connelly’s early death on October 9, 1962.

Detective Connelly is survived by his wife, Eileen; sons, Patrick, Michael, Nicholas and daughter, Lynne.

P.O. Gary M. Gradle


Name: P.O. Gary M. Gradle
Star: 9366
Memorial Panel #:  15
Rank: Patrolman
District / Unit: 004 Distrct
End of Watch: 05 April 1996
Incident Details: Police Officer Gary M. Gradle, 38, was assigned to the 004thDistrict. On March 24, 1991, Officer Gary Gradle responded to a call of a man with a gun at 81st and Houston. Officer Gradle entered a dark garage and was shot point-blank in the chest, right below the sternum. He was saved by his bullet proof vest and able to return fire at the offender, who escaped. The officer was treated at South Chicago Community Hospital and made a full recovery. He was able to return to work in the 004thDistrict.On April 5, 1996, Officer Gradle was working the third watch on Beat 453 when he was discovered slumped over the wheel of his squad car gasping for breath. A CFD ambulance responded and transported the officer to St. Margaret Mercy Hospital in Hammond, IN. The officer expired several hours later.

Officer Gradle is survived by his wife, Elizabeth, and their two children, Joseph and Claire.

P.O. Robert F. Wenzel

Name: Robert F. Wenzel
Star: 7495
Memorial Panel #:  23
Rank: Police Officer
District / Unit: Traffic Division – Area 6
End of Watch: 19 January 1973
Incident Details: Police Officer Robert Wenzel, 36, was a 12-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Traffic Division – Area 6.In the early morning hours of January 19, 1973, Officer Wenzel curbed a vehicle for a minor traffic violation on Lake Shore Drive. As Officer Wenzel approached the vehicle, Richard Luckey, the driver, fired his weapon and struck the officer. Officer Wenzel returned gunfire and shot Luckey before he collapsed near his squad car. A City of Chicago engineering crew witnessed the incident and reported to police that Officer Wenzel had fired six shots before collapsing. Luckey alleged that he had an accomplice with him in the vehicle, named Joseph Lee Bolden or Bolten. According to Luckey, the two had just left a tavern and were looking for a location to rob when he was pulled over. However, Luckey’s allegations were never corroborated by witnesses. Luckey was injured and permanently paralyzed from the waist down. Officer Wenzel was taken to Augustana Hospital where he was pronounced dead upon arrival. Richard Luckey was found guilty and sentenced to serve 75-150 years in prison. He died in prison on June 26, 2011. Officer Wenzel was laid to rest in Acacia Park Cemetery. He was survived by his wife, Rose; children, Colleen, Daniel, Michael, and Robert; father, John; and his brother, John.

P.O. John F. Lynch

Name: Lynch, John F.
Star: 11189
Memorial Panel #:  17
Rank: Police Officer
District / Unit: 007 Distrct (Englewood)
End of Watch: 19 August 1982
Incident Details: Police Officer John Lynch, 46, was a 20-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the 007 District. On August 19, 1982, Officer Lynch and his partner were at a residence processing a deceased body. The partners transported the deceased to St. Bernard Hospital when Officer Lynch suffered a fatal heart attack in the emergency room.Officer Lynch’s funeral mass was held at St. Mary Star of the Sea Catholic Church.

He is survived by his wife, JoAnn, and their children: Michael, James and Joan

Detective Roy A. Carney, Jr.

Name: Roy A. Carney, Jr.
Star: Uknown
Memorial Panel #:  14
Rank: Detective
District / Unit: Woodlawn Station
End of Watch: 18 April 1958
Incident Details: Detective Roy Carney, 35, was a 10-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Woodlawn Station. On April 18, 1958, off-duty Detective Carney was in the tavern owned by his wife, Carrie, near 66th Street and Marquette Road. Two armed robbers entered and shot Det. Carney after he identified himself as a police officer and attempted to draw his weapon. Officer Carney was pronounced dead upon arrival at St. Bernard Hospital.James Davis, 26, and Larry Oden, 27, were convicted and sentenced to death in 1958. In 1961, they were found guilty for the second time and sentenced to serve 199 years in prison.

Detective Carney is survived by his wife, Carrie, and his father, Roy Sr., (CPD).


P.O. Gregory R. Edwards

Name: Gregory R. Edwards
Star: 4562
Memorial Panel #:  6
Rank: Police Officer
District / Unit: 003 Distrct (Grand Crossing)
End of Watch: 29 Sept 1987
Incident Details: Police Officer Gregory Edwards, 27, was a 13 month veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Grand Crossing District. On September 29, 1987, Officer Edwards was at a motel located in the 6600 block of South Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, when Marvin Wright attempted to rob the motel’s occupants. Wright, 24, was seeking money in order to complete a drug deal. He turned the doorknob and attempted to gain entrance into the officer’s first-floor motel room. Officer Edwards opened the door and identified himself as a police officer. A quarrel ensued and the officer was shot twice. Marvin Wright was arrested near the scene and charged with murder. Police Officer Edwards passed away from the wounds he sustained at Bernard Mitchell Hospital.Officer Edwards is survived by two children.

He is survived by his wife, Loretta.

P.O. Richard J. Keogh

Name: Keogh, Richard K.
Star: Unknown
Memorial Panel #:  24
Rank: Patrolman
District / Unit: Motorcycle Division
End of Watch: 27 September 1932
Incident Details: Police Officer Richard Keogh, 38, was a 14-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Motorcycle Division. On September 27, 1932, Officer Keogh was in-pursuit of a speeding vehicle on his police motorcycle.The officer was fatally injured when he collided with a vehicle at the intersection of Rosedale and Milwaukee Avenues. Officer Keogh died en route to Belmont Hospital. Officer Keogh’s funeral mass was held at St. Benedict’s Church and he was laid to rest in Calvary Cemetery. He is survived by his wife, Loretta.

Patrolman Sidney Sam

Name: Sam, Sidney
Star: 13524
Memorial Panel #:  23
Rank: Patrolman
District / Unit: 0012 District
End of Watch: 16 June 1971
Incident Details: On June 16, 1971, Police Officer Sidney Sam had finished working the 3rdwatch in uniform at the 012 District. Officer Sam put a gray jacket over his uniform and drove to 1531 S. Komensky arriving at approximately 12:30 AM. Officer Sam double parked his 1970 Buick Electra and was talking to a friend, who was outside of his car. Three offenders walked up to the car, approached the friend from behind, put a gun into her back and announced a robbery.At this time, Officer Sam began to reach down to his left side with his left hand, and the robber told Sam, “Don’t try for it.” At that time one of the offenders now known as Robert Dismukes began to shoot at Officer Sam through the open car window. After shooting Officer Sam, Dismukes pushed Officer Sam out from behind the steering wheel, got into the Buick and fled northbound in the vehicle with wounded Officer Sam still in the front seat. The other two offenders then fled on foot. Officer Sam was discovered dead in his Buick a short time later in an alley behind 1239 S Kedvale. Missing was Sam’s off duty .32 caliber revolver, his police star and identification. Subsequent investigation by Area 4 detectives revealed the identity of Robert Dismukes, Louis Allen and David Lee Johnson as the three offenders who robbed and killed Officer Sam. All three offenders were arrested and subsequently charged and convicted for First Degree Murder and Armed Robbery. Detectives recovered Officer Sam’s gun and his police star and identification. On December 20, 1971 Robert Dismukes was sentenced to 30 to 75 years in the Illinois Penitentiary, Louis Allen was sentenced to 20 to 50 years in the Illinois Penitentiary and David Lee Johnson was sentenced to 25 to 50 years in the Illinois Penitentiary Officer Sam is currently survived by his three daughters, Debra, Cindy and Daphne. Cindy is a Chicago Police Sergeant.

Patrolman Terrence J. Knox #2759

Name: Knox, Terrence J.
Star: 2759
Memorial Panel #:  22
Rank: Patrolman
District / Unit: 005 District
End of Watch: 8 May 2011
Incident Details: On March 7, 1969, Officer Terrence Knox was driving his squad car when he spotted a youth near Hirsch High school he suspected was a school-truant. Officer Knox exited his vehicle near 76th Street and Drexel Avenue and inquired as to why Joseph Pannell was not inside of the school. Pannell then opened fire on Officer Knox 13 times. Officer Knox survived the incident but was left with limited use in his arm and lifelong illnesses caused by the blood transfusions required to save his life. Joseph Pannell was arrested and jumped bond in 1971. In 1973, Officer Knox found and arrested him again. The presiding judge set Pannell’s bond at 100,000 which he was posted and then fled to Canada. In 2004, a cold case squad found Joseph Pannell living under the alias of Douglas Freeman in Toronto. Pannell was extradited to the United States. Officer Knox helped broker a plea deal which required Pannell, the now librarian, to serve 30 days in prison and donate $250,000 of his legal defense fund to the Chicago Police Memorial Foundation. Pannell who did not apologize to Officer Knox for attempting to murder him in 1969, addressed the court and said, “…It was an American tragedy. By this plea, I accept responsibility for the part I played in that tragedy.” Joseph Pannell a.k.a Douglas Freeman has been expelled from Canada. He has been petitioning the Canadian Government to make an exception and ignore his criminal background and grant him re-entrance to Canada. Officer Terrence Knox died on May 8, 2011, after a prolonged illness caused by blood transfusions. Officer Knox’s funeral mass was held at Our Lady of the Woods Church and he was laid to rest in Good Shepherd Cemetery. He is survived by his wife, Diane; children, Christine (Martin) Gramlick and Charlene (Nathan) Livingston; granddaughter, Evelyn; and his siblings, Nancy Kermer, Thomas Knox, and Dennis Knox.